Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Learning to Wait

This morning I dreamed I was sitting at a table with two other people, one woman and one man. The woman is a clergy person I know in waking life; the man I do not, but for some reason this morning I am thinking he might be a priest. We seem to be playing some sort of game. Each of us has a piece of paper with "Come, Thou Almighty King," written on it. There are other words I cannot read (maybe the lyrics to this hymn?), and some drawings including one of a solitary king who is standing. We each place our paper on top of one another, as you would in a simple card game.  I am left with one piece of paper that has a drawing of a beautiful loaf of bread. I am wanting to "play" this card, but the man gets up and leaves before he takes his second turn. I believe I need to wait for him to return. I do not want to move out of turn. 

I woke thinking, "Christ comes not as a king, but as bread waiting to be broken."  
 
   
When he was at the table with them, he took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to them. Then their eyes were opened, and they recognized him; and he vanished from their sight.   
Luke 24:30-31 
  
  
How can you sing if your mouth be filled with food? 
How shall your hand be raised in blessing 
if it is filled with gold? 
Kahlil Gibran 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment