Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Advent Poem

A couple of years ago, a friend told me about a newsletter called "Thin Places," that is published by Westminster Presbyterian Church in Minneapolis.  Wonder of wonders, it actually comes in the mail.   Most of the events I cannot attend, but it is nice to ponder them.  In the current issue is a beautiful advent poem that I thought I would share with you.    As I have been thinking about this poem, I realized I experience Christ in unexpected moments of clarity and love.  These meetings can never be planned or orchestrated.   When I am aware of these moments, I do not see or feel Christ as either male or female, but rather simply as Presence.  Yet, as I thought about that, I also realized the pronoun probably just does not matter that much to Christ.   I am loving this poem more and more.   
 
Blessings to all who are struggling with illness, despair, loss, or lethargy. If you are feeling joyous, I pray you will be good news for those who are working hard to make ends meet (financially as well as emotionally)  in this season that Christians know as Advent.  May we remember that the Bethlehem we journey to is in our hearts.  Let us make room.  
  
Thou shalt know Him when He comes
not by any din of drums
nor the vantages of airs
nor by anything He wears...
For His presence known shall be
by the holy harmony
that His coming makes in thee.     
 
15th century
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment