Thursday, June 12, 2014

Awake My Soul and Sing

When I arrived at the skilled nursing community, the new receptionist, sitting at the decades old tiny metal desk, asked me if I was the one who was coming to lead worship.  Upon hearing my yes she asked me to enter the activity room by another door.  As I walked in, the regular afternoon karaoke was going on, and Bob was singing along with "Pretty Woman."  As I usually do, I sang along for a minute or two as I settled in and passed out song sheets.   After the song was over, I thanked Bob for greeting me in such a nice way. He is a shy, gentle man who blushes easily, and today was no different.  However, he soon joined in the good natured laughter and greetings. 
     
This is an interesting group, and several of them are probably not much older than I.  Many have been living in this home longer than I have been in the ministry (almost seven years). It is a stark place, but I am always touched and enlivened by their capacity for lively worship, and usually about sixty of us fill the large activity room.   On this day, however, a partition was up, so we really had only about half our usual space.  The assistant told me that there was a meeting going on. The piano was stranded on the other side of the partition.
    
I suggested, since we would be singing a capella, that we just try one verse of the first hymn, "Crown Him with Many Crowns."  The voices were so surprisingly strong I suggested we forge ahead and sing the second verse.  It was a glorious, wildly imperfect chorus, enough so that the soft spoken activity assistant suggested that perhaps we could sing a little more softly for the sake of the meeting next door.  That milestone delighted me, and I confess I kept the request to myself. I want these good folks to sing.  I did, however, soften my voice for the sake of respectful  compliance.  It didn't seem to be much needed anyway; the momentum was gathering, and many even prayed the The Lord's Prayer in full voice.  I smiled all through the service.  Only a few were too frail to take communion, and as I wound my way through the rather tightly packed wheelchairs, I noticed that people were also waiting patiently in the hall.  All wanted communion as well.    
 
Afterwards, I thanked everyone for their wonderful singing.  Mary, who is quite bright, rolled her eyes and said in her very croaky voice, "We sing all the time."  There doesn't seem to be much of an activity budget here, and I think they sing a lot of karaoke.  I have never been a fan of it, but it seems to serve a vital function here.  It is too easy for the frail and the elderly to stop using their voices, and once that happens, the quality of life can diminish quickly and substantially.   At another small skilled nursing home, a woman joins us who seems to not be able to use her voice at all.  However, when I am singing, she moves her lips and she has the engaged, happy look of someone who is singing a beloved hymn at the top of her voice.  We often "sing" together after the service because the pianist continues to play hymns afterwards, and I can generally remember enough words to keep us going.  I would love to hear her break free.      
   
Truthfully, I can never think of Jesus in heaven sitting on a throne with a crown on his head.   If for a moment I thought that Jesus was not in the various homes and hospitals we serve, my heart would falter and my voice would also grow faint.  Fortunately, I do not believe that.  I am convinced that when we lift these hymns of love and praise they are accepted and celebrated as the gifts they are:  pearls of great price set in glittering crowns of love.    
 
Crown Him with many crowns, 
The Lamb upon His throne, 
Hark! How the heavenly anthem drowns
All music but its own.  
Awake my soul and sing 
of Him who died for thee;
And hail Him as thy matchless King 
Through all eternity.
                                           - Matthew Bridges, Godfrey Thring 
  
"Teacher, rebuke your disciples." He said in reply, "I tell you, if they keep silent, the stones will cry out."                                                                 Luke 19:39-40                                                                                                                                                                             
    

No comments:

Post a Comment