Thursday, February 6, 2014

I Remember

This week I visited a care community dedicated to Alzheimer's patients to discuss an upcoming event with the staff.  I used to serve this community regularly, but another SpiritCare chaplain now serves this home.  I was able to visit at the same time that the SpiritCare service was scheduled.  When I walked in, I immediately looked for Rae.  Truthfully, I really did not expect to see her.  After all, it had been a couple of years since I last saw her.  However, despite my initial happiness at seeing her in the activity room, I was saddened to see her hunched over, tracing unseen circles on the table with her finger.  My first thought was that she might have lost the ability to communicate directly.  I said hello, and then sat down beside her.  As we began to sing, she became more alert, and by the third verse of the first hymn, she and I were chatting and giggling (my apologies to my colleague). She was soon close to how I remembered her:  singing, and commenting after every song, "I love this.  Isn't this beautiful?"   I, of course, agreed.  Could I always understand her?  Well, no.  Could she always understand me?  Unlikely.  But the warmth from that experience is still with me.  And for Rae, and because of Rae, I will do my best to remember.         
  
My thanks to the good pastor who shared Psalm 42 with us that day.   
   
These things I remember, 
as I pour out my soul; 
how I went with the throng,
and led them in procession 
to the house of God, 
with glad shouts and songs of thanksgiving,
a multitude keeping festival.     (Psalm 42:4)  

  
Come join us when you can.   There are so many Rae's out there, yearning for a tangible circle that only community, and love can provide.    

No comments:

Post a Comment